SMART’s Board of Trustees is accountable in law for all major decisions about its schools. However, this does not mean that the Board is required to carry out all the Trust’s governance functions. Many of these processes are delegated to our Local Governing Committees (LGCs).
Local Governing Committees play a crucial role in the governance of the Trust. Although the Trust Board retains overall responsibility, LGCs have an essential role to play in ensuring the three core governance functions are carried out in each of our schools. These are to:
- Ensure the values, vision and ethos of the Trust are effectively in place in their school
- Hold the Head Teacher and Leadership team to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
- Monitor the financial performance of the school and make sure its money is well spent
More specifically, local governors are expected to:
- Build an understanding of how the school is led and managed
- Monitor whether the school is:
- Working within agreed policies
- Meeting the agreed targets
- Managing its finances well
- Reporting to the board
- Engaging with stakeholders
Chairs of the Local Governing Committees:
Dobwalls Community Primary School - Alan Johnson
c/o Dobwalls Community Primary School, Dobwalls, Liskeard, Cornwall. PL14 4LU
More information on the governing committee at Dobwalls School can be found here.
Landulph Primary School - Helen Ansell
c/o Landulph School, Landulph, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6ND
More information on the governing committee at Landulph School can be found here.
Liskeard School & Community College - Dean James Robbins
c/o Liskeard School & Community College, Luxstowe, Liskeard, Cornwall PL14 3EA
More information on the governing committee at Liskeard School can be found here.
Looe Community Academy - Keith Simmons
c/o Looe Community Academy, Sunrising, East Looe, PL13 1NQ
More information on the governing committee at Looe Academy can be found here.
Saltash Community School - Tim Parkman
c/o Saltash Community School, Wearde Road, Saltash, PL12 4AY
More information on the governing committee at Saltash School can be found here.
Trewidland Primary & Pre-School - Gary Powell-Jones
c/o Trewidland Primary & Pre-School, Trewidland, Liskeard, PL14 4SJ
More information on the governing committee at Trewidland School can be found here.